Next week is exams. :(
I made several changes to Catherine's Website, basically a couple of layout changes and the addition of the color green. I'm also going to remove the chemistry background because it tires my eye and I never got around to making it look dimmer.
Also, Google has sent lots of people Google Chrome laptops. I really REALLY want one, because I have never had laptop and I really like the idea of a browser only os made by Google, plus the case is 100% unbranded and without logo making it the coolest laptop ever.
I have made a few changes to the site:
1. Added Chemistry Theme
2. Added Disqus Comment System
3. Added a few pages
The chemistry theme looks pretty cool to me. It was a random image I found on shutterstock that tiled. I fixed it up a bit and inverted it to match my sites theme.
The disqus commenting system allows people to comment anonymously, comment using facebook, a disqus account, an open id account, and a few more accounts so there is less of a chance of you having to register to comment, and you can always comment anonymously.
I also added a random pages page. I may make lots of random pages that are useful, but would make my navbar way to big with all the insignificant pages, so I created the random pages page so I can list random but somewhat useful pages.
I finally redesigned my website so now it's all made by me. It took a while, but now the layout works great and looks good. Now I can focus more on the GMA website.
Summer has been pretty okay for now, ive been doing some classes and web designing. Yesterday, i got braces, which didn't hurt at first, but now my teeth are really sensitive and i have to refrain from chewing... oh well. At least i can stick magnets to my mouth. In a while (i dont keep track of these things) i will be going to hong kong for a relatives wedding. That will be fun, but lots of stuff during summer can make it feel short.
Anyways, ive completed the new site design, but I have been procrastinating on replacing the old design because i will have to restructure the pages (i neglect my own site and spend more time on other peoples) and make a new wordpress layout from the new theme.
Thats my life for now. Teeth hurt and math classes.
So its been the usual ~2 weeks since my last blog post. During the past week i spent my time attempting to resurrect a forum from the ashes (aka backup) and I have run into a multitude of problems. At first the backup simply wouldn't restore, nothing would happen. Eventually I got it restored onto an old phpbb 2.0.19 but the style that was used at the time wasn't backed up also, so i was left with an error. After using a php script i found to reset the style back to default, It finally started working, but when I upgraded it to the latest 3.0.7 PL1, it gave errors at registration. At the time I had no idea it was simply a ampersand (&) that was causing all the problems, so I uninstalled everything, rinse, repeat... about 5 times until I finally figured it out.
Anyways, the forum is a biking forum for critical mass, located at http://www.CMForum.co.cc/
Next task: redesign my own site for once! I have a beta kinda http://www.stephensmith.co.cc/new , just a couple things to fix.
Finally changed my domain officially, stephen.vlexo.net no longer exists. Thats one less thing on my to do list, but now, i have something to replace it. Because of my new domain, i can finally have different meta tags for each page, this is a great advantage, unfortunately i will have to edit each page and add them all in, which is definately something for the list.
(i actually forgot what it was i just remembered)
So hopefully i will be able to have my website better understood my google.
Under my old domain, the .co.nr one, my website was viewed through whats called an iframe, which is like a window which shows the content of the target site. This frame was on a different server than my website, and provided the illusion that i had the .co.nr domain, when in actuality, just a window.
There were certain disadvantages to this, such as when viewing the source code/html of the page. It would show the code for the "window" rather than my actual site, and any link pointing to an external site would keep the window, for example if i linked to youtube and someone clicked the link, it will go to youtube, but my domain will stay in the address bar.
After a long day of typing and checking code over an over again i finally made my site at http://www.stephensmith.co.nr/
This site is now linked so it looks as if it is merged with this blog, and hopefully i may be able to do some advanced statistics if i can get another sql database, but this is all for today (i think).